This tutorial will show you how to enable Joomla search engine friendly URL’s at your website.
Why should you enable SEF URLs
- They look much cleaner and easier to read.
- It can help you rank your website higher in the Google search engine results
- It makes it easier for people to link to the search engine friendly URL article via social media and other platforms.
- It adds an additional layer of security to your website. A website can be easily identified running Joomla based on the URLs the website uses. For example non search engine friendly URL’s include the PHP, ?, component name which makes it easy for bots and hackers to identity.
- People are more likely to visit and trust a article listed in the search engine results with a search engine friendly formatted URL.
Search engine friendly URL’s disabled
First lets take a look at what a URL looks like when the built-in SEF feature is disabled.
As you can see the URL formatting looks really ugly and not user or SEO friendly.
How Do i enable search engine friendly URLs
To enable the Joomla SEF URL feature complete the following steps.
- Log into the administrator area of your website and select the system menu and global configuration menu.
- You will now see the SEO settings where you can enable or disable the built-in Joomla SEO settings.
- To enable SEF URLs without URL rewriting select the Search Engine Friendly URLs option to Yes
The URL format now looks more user friendly. How ever the issue with using this approach is that the index.php is included in the URL structure.
To remove the Index.php from the structure of the URL you will need to enable URL rewriting and rename the default htaccess.txt file to .htaccess
How do I enable SEF URL’s using URL rewriting
Before you enable this feature you need to rename the default Joomla htaccess.txt file to .htaccess file
To rename the the default Joomla htaccess.txt file to .htaccess complete the following steps.
- Open your FTP software and browse to the directory where you have installed Joomla.
- You will now see a file htaccess.txt
- All you need to do is rename the file from htaccess.txt to .htaccess as shown in the screen shot below.
Once you have successfully renamed the htaccess.txt file to .htaccess you can enable the SEF URL rewriting feature.
The URL formatting will look like this without the index.php included in the URL format.
How do i add the .html suffix in the SEF URL
To add the .html suffix to the URL format select the adds suffix to URL option from no to yes
To URL format will now include the .html suffix as show in the screen show below
You can also enable the Unicode Aliases option. this setting controls how non-latin characters are handled in your aliases, whether they are saved or converted to a date and time.